Does your life reflect that God has changed you from the inside? What clues are there that you are fully devoted? We are continuing our journey this week, looking at the book of 1 John. In our study of John chapter 2, we are going to discuss the fact that followers of Christ obey God, love people, and have a growing disdain for sin. Throughout our study today, we are going to be encouraged to be fully devoted followers of Christ.
What is one of your hobbies? What evidence is there for other people to see, proving that this is one of your hobbies?
1. When you meet a person who you believe is a follower of Christ, what evidence leads you to think that that person is a Christian?
2. Read 1 John 2:1-6. As you read these verses, what are key indicators of a follower of Christ?
1 John 2:1-6
My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.
And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.
3. Before we can obey God's word, we have to read and know His word. How are you doing with reading God's word on a regular basis? Is there a habit you can pick up to improve this area of your life?
4. Why does God give instructions to us? Why does a Christian obey God's word?
5. According to 1 John 2:7, why is love for others a primary indicator of a follower of Christ? How does love impact the way we forgive?
1 John 2:7
Dear friends, I am not writing a new commandment for you; rather it is an old one you have had from the very beginning. This old commandment—to love one another—is the same message you heard before.
6. Who do you have a hard time showing love to or need to forgive?
7. Read 1 John 2:15-17. Is there any sin that you find difficult to turn away from in your own life? If so, what is it? What can you do right now to take steps away from that sin?
1 John 2:15-17
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.
When you think about the three markers of a follower of Christ: obeys God's word, has a growing disdain for sin, and loves others, which of these needs the most improvement in your life? What steps will you take to grow in these areas? Share these with your group and pray for each other.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
1 John 2:5
But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him.