As human beings, we all want to live a life of significance. We want to live a life that matters. We want to have an impact. As followers of Christ, we want to have an impact for Him and His kingdom. But what does it really mean to live a life of significance, and how do we actually live this kind of life? We are going to talk about this today by studying about a man who believed God would do big things with his life and watched God use his life in big ways.
What is your dream job? How does that compare with what you are doing now?
1. How would you personally define a significant life?
2. Read 1 Chronicles 4:9-10. What stood out about Jabez's life from all of the other people listed? Why do you think prayer makes such a difference?
1 Chronicles 4:9-10
There was a man named Jabez who was more honorable than any of his brothers. His mother named him Jabez because his birth had been so painful. He was the one who prayed to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and expand my territory! Please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all trouble and pain!” And God granted him his request.
3. Jabez was known for his prayer. How would you like to be known?
4. If someone were to describe you today, what would they say? Is it similar or different to how you would like to be known?
5. How does Jabez's prayer life inspire your own prayer life? What changes does the prayer inspire you to make?
6. Read 1 Peter 4:10-11. What gifts has God specifically given you? What things are you specifically passionate about?
1 Peter 4:10-11
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
7. Where do you see your passions and abilities intersecting?
As a group, spend time praying together. As you pray, ask God to do big things. As a leader, take time to write or print out the prayer of Jabez for your group members. Give the cards out to each person and encourage them to pray through it every day this coming week. Check back in next week to see how it went.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.