Have you ever had a song that got stuck in your head? Whether it is a catchy tune that you heard on the radio or a song that was played at just the right moment, we rarely forget things that we sing. In this Forgotten War, sometimes we miss the value of the things that enter our minds, and we can put energy into these things without thinking much about it. We have influences and messages that we open our minds through social media, television, and our friends. When we dwell on these messages from the world, it can lead to feelings of inadequacy. When we refocus our thinking on what God says about us, it changes us on the inside. This study examines how we can suit up with the Helmet of Salvation to protect our minds from the attacks of the evil one.
What is one catchy song or jingle that often gets stuck inside your head? (For me it is pretty much every song from the Lego movie.)
1. What is the importance for a soldier of having a good helmet? Why is this critical for soldiers as they go into battle?
2. Read 1 Thessalonians 5:8-11. What is the purpose of putting on the Helmet of Salvation?
1 Thessalonians 5:8-11
But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.
For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us. Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever. So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
3. How does Satan often mess with our minds in this Forgotten War?
4. This last weekend we said, "What we plant in our mind eventually comes out in our actions." How have you seen this take place in your own life?
5. How does each of these four truths help us to protect our heads from Satan's attacks?
a. God loves you.
b. God understands you.
c. God has given you full access to Him.
d. God says you are His child.
6. Read John 1:10-13. What is the connection that John is making about our new identity? Where have you messed up as God's child this week, and what do you need to do to get right with Him?
He came into the very world he created, but the world didn’t recognize him. He came to his own people, and even they rejected him. But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God.
7. What is one lie that has gotten in your head that you need to unravel and reject this week?
Next weekend, we have Group Match scheduled for all of our locations. This is an opportunity for you as a group to make room for one more person to experience community. Pray as a group about opening up some more spaces, and let your mentor know how many are available. Plan also to attend church together the weekend of August 10 & 11. That weekend is the start of our Campfire Stories series and one that we would like every small group to come to church together. Come up with a plan to meet at church, then do something special as a small group after worship. After you come up with a plan to make room and to meet together that weekend, take prayer requests, and close your group in prayer.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.