In this Forgotten War, God has given us a weapon to advance His kingdom. The weapon is the Bible. When we open the pages of God's Word, we find truths about what is right and wrong. We also learn how to live the abundant life that Jesus promised. Not only is the Bible beneficial for our own understanding, but it gives us the power to take ground from the enemy. We are able to see through Satan's lies and share God's truths with those who might be on the path of destruction. This study takes a look at the only offensive weapon in the armor of God, the Sword of the Spirit, as a powerful way to advance in this dark world.
If you were caught in the middle of a Sharknado (A tornado filled with live sharks) and had to get a weapon from your garage to take control, what weapon would you use and why?
1. Why did Paul include the Sword of the Spirit as a part of the armor of God? (Ephesians 6:17)
Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
2. How is the Bible an offensive weapon? How does it allow us to move forward in this battle?
3. Read Hebrews 4:12-13. How is the word of God living and active? How does the Spirit use it to penetrate hearts?
For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.
4. How does the darkness flee when the truth of God's Word is presented? How have you seen this personally?
5. Read Psalm 119:9-16. How does the Bible keep people from evil? How does walking according to God's Word turn into joy?
How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.
I have tried hard to find you—
don’t let me wander from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
I praise you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
I have recited aloud
all the regulations you have given us.
I have rejoiced in your laws
as much as in riches.
I will study your commandments
and reflect on your ways.
I will delight in your decrees
and not forget your word.
6. What are some ways that you are doing well at reading the Bible and keeping your sword sharp? What are some ways that you need to improve?
7. What are some ways that you are doing well at reading the Bible and keeping your sword sharp? What are some ways that you need to improve?
This weekend we start a new series called "Campfire Stories." We are asking that all of our small groups come to church together as a family. Our hope is that your group will enjoy worshipping all together at the same service and that we can be a light to our whole church to how God is moving in your community. We will give people an opportunity to sign up for groups this weekend, so we want them to see how your lives have been changed. Come up with a plan to meet together before service, attend together, and then after the service do something special. You could go out for a meal or dessert, go for a hike, enjoy an outing or local event, or even go back to a member's house. This activity also presents an opportunity for those who signed up to join your group at Group Match to hang out with you socially. See you this weekend!
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."