Have you ever observed a married couple that was so on fire for God that they caught your attention? Maybe this couple really loved people well or had a heart for learning and studying God's word. Whatever the case, have you ever looked on a couple like this that you thought, "Now they are soulmates." If you are married, maybe you saw this couple and hoped to have such a strong relationship with your spouse one day. If you are single, maybe you hope to have a relationship like that couple you observed one day, or maybe you just hoped that your everyday relationships would have the same kind of strength and Christlikeness as that couple. Today, we are going to talk about how to have strong marriages that point people to Christ.
When you think of "soulmates," what comes to mind?
1. What are some of the key ingredients to strong marriages?
2. Read Acts 18:1-4. What do you learn about Priscilla and Aquila in these verses?
Then Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he became acquainted with a Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently arrived from Italy with his wife, Priscilla. They had left Italy when Claudius Caesar deported all Jews from Rome. Paul lived and worked with them, for they were tentmakers just as he was.
Each Sabbath found Paul at the synagogue, trying to convince the Jews and Greeks alike.
3. Clearly, this couple learned a lot from Paul. How have you benefitted from growing in community with other believers? If you are married, how have you and your spouse benefitted from growing in community with other believers together?
4. Read 1 Corinthians 16:19. What is the value of worshiping with a group of people, particularly with your spouse if you are married?
1 Corinthians 16:19
The churches here in the province of Asia send greetings in the Lord, as do Aquila and Priscilla and all the others who gather in their home for church meetings.
5. Read Romans 16:3-5. How did Priscilla and Aquila serve Paul and the church?
Give my greetings to Priscilla and Aquila, my co-workers in the ministry of Christ Jesus. In fact, they once risked their lives for me. I am thankful to them, and so are all the Gentile churches. Also give my greetings to the church that meets in their home.
Greet my dear friend Epenetus. He was the first person from the province of Asia to become a follower of Christ.
6. Why is serving together important for any relationship to thrive?
7. In what ways do you serve God and the church? If you are married how are you and your spouse serving together? If you and your spouse are not currently serving together, in what areas could you begin serving together?
Above all things we can do to strengthen our relationships, one of the most important things we can do is pray for our spouses, family members, friends, and anyone else we are in a relationship with. As a group, spend time praying together. Single people, pray for a relationship in your life that is struggling and needs growth and healing. If you are married, pray for your spouse. As you pray, ask God to strengthen the important relationships in your life.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
1 John 2:5
But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him.