With all of the twists and turns and hardships that this year has brought, it seems that an abundance of kindness among people has been lacking. Many people are quick to find offense, criticize, and offer unkind words when situations arise. The truth is, right now, kindness is desperately needed in our culture. As followers of Christ, you and I get to be stewards of that very kindness that the world desperately needs.
Would you rather give a donation of $1,000,000 to a charity or contribute 10,000 hours to a non-profit?
1. How would you define kindness?
2. What do you think prevents many people from showing kindness today?
3. Read Psalm 139:13-18. What stands out to you in these verses about the way God values people?
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.
How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
They cannot be numbered!
I can’t even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!
4. How does this understanding of the way God values people affect the way you interact with people each and every day?
5. Read Colossians 3:12-14. According to these verses, what should be the Christian’s motivation for kindness?
Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.
6. How has God shown kindness to you in your own life?
7. When you think about kindness, who is the first person who comes to mind? As you think about them, what is one way this week you can begin to model the same kindness that they exhibit?
As a group, think about a way that you can come together to show kindness to someone this week. Perhaps you can place a to go order at your favorite restaurant and leave a large tip, write a letter to someone who is going through a difficult time, or take a meal to a neighbor. Whatever you decide, be sure to remind the person or people you are serving just how much they are loved and cared for.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy!