Day 1: Offense and Defense (Standards for Christians)
Several years ago, Dallas Cowboys quarterback turned sportscaster Troy Aikman was a guest on a popular late-night talk show. Other guests had been talking about their past sexual experiences. Then the host started quizzing Troy – who previous to his marriage was considered one of the most available bachelors at that time – to tell some of his stories. The star quarterback just sat back, grinned a shy little grin, and said, "Sure, I like girls, I've dated some girls – but I don't have any sordid, scandalous stories to tell. I consider myself a gentleman. Every time I get on one of these shows, you guys want me to reveal some wild part of my life. I don't have any. Do I need to apologize to you guys for that?" The host was obviously stunned, and the subject was changed.
Read 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8.
We don't know Troy Aikman's motivation for his answer, but we do know that God has set a standard for Christians. Being sexually immoral is risking your very life, but sexual sin does more harm than simply committing the sin. Premarital sex wrongs your future partner by robbing him or her of the virginity you should bring to marriage. Living according to God's standard can save you from a broken heart and a broken life. If you're a virgin, stand strong – you'll never regret it. If you're not, ask God to forgive you, then walk from this day forward in His purity.
1. Why is it such a big deal to God that we wait until we get married to have sex?
2. When a person messes up and has sex with another person, several things in their life are affected. Are you ready?
● Their worship of God is affected. It is hard to come to church and tell God how much you love Him when you have all this guilt and shame. Most kids who blow it sexually run away from God and the church. That is too bad. God will forgive you, and the church will help you and hold you accountable, so you don't make the same mistake again.● Their witness for Christ is affected. It is hard to tell someone else to live for Jesus when you aren't living for Him yourself. You find that you are a hypocrite, and that will eat at you every single day.● Their wedding is affected. One day, you will meet the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with, and you will have to explain to them what you did while you were single. Trust me that is one conversation you don't want to have.
3. There is an old saying that goes like this. Sin will keep you longer than you want to stay and cost you more than you wanted to pay. Do you agree or disagree with that statement, and why do you agree or disagree?
4. If you have blown it in the past, confess that sin to God, and He will forgive you. If you are currently in a relationship that is not honoring to God, break up or set up new standards, and if you go too far again, promise yourself and God that you will end the relationship. Finally, if you are still standing strong in this area of your life, ask God to give you even more strength to keep standing strong for Him.
"Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil." Ephesians 6:11
©2022 Sagebrush Church