“Who am I going to spend my life with?” For those who are single, this is a question we must work through. It is also a question we must lead the children in our lives to work through and process. This is not a decision for anyone, including the children in our lives, to take lightly. Because of this, our study this week will focus on what Scripture teaches about how to answer this question well and help our children learn how to answer this question.
Who is your favorite fictional tv or movie couple? Why?
1. What qualities do you want to see in your future spouse or in the lives of your children?
2. Why is it important for us and the children in our lives to begin thinking about who we want to spend our lives with ahead of time?
3. Read 2 Corinthians 6:14-16. According to these verses, what should be of utmost importance when considering who to spend our lives with?
2 Corinthians 6:14-16
Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said:
“I will live in them
and walk among them.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
4. Why, according to these verses, does Scripture call believers not to “team up” with unbelievers?
5. Read Luke 11:16-18. These verses teach us that being likeminded and having the same goals is vital for a relationship to thrive. How have you seen this to be true in your life?
Others, trying to test Jesus, demanded that he show them a miraculous sign from heaven to prove his authority.
He knew their thoughts, so he said, “Any kingdom divided by civil war is doomed. A family splintered by feuding will fall apart. You say I am empowered by Satan. But if Satan is divided and fighting against himself, how can his kingdom survive?
6. What do you think the goal of dating is? What do you think the goal of marriage is? Why is having a definition for both so important?
7. What are some positive ways we can encourage our children or others to make wise decisions when considering who they will spend their lives with?
Talk with your group about how you can better encourage the children in your life as they think about who they will spend the rest of their lives with. Maybe the example you set can be a model, or conversations with them from an early age about qualities that are important in a spouse. Whatever that looks like, tell your group. Then encourage each other throughout the week to take steps to encourage the children in your life.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.