All of us want to make a significant contribution to the world. We all want our lives to matter. Although some of us may have differing opinions on what significance means, this desire to make an impact is directly from God. The question is, how does God define significance? What kind of contribution does He call us to make with our lives? How can we raise children who seek to make a contribution with their lives? We are going to talk about this today and discover how Scripture helps us answer the question, “What will be the contribution of our lives?”
What invention has made the greatest contribution to our society? Why?
1. What types of contributions do you think people want to leave in the world? Why?
2. Read Matthew 6:31-34. According to these verses, what kind of contribution does Christ call us to make with our lives?
"So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
3. Why do you think many people don’t make themselves available to be used by God?
4. What specifically holds you back from being available to be used by God?
5. What steps can you take to help the children in your life not fall into the traps of selfishness and greed? Are you setting a good example of this? Why or Why not?
6. Read 1 Peter 4:7-11. Understanding what is long-lasting and what is not, what things are worth making a priority? What things have taken a greater place in your life than they deserved?
1 Peter 4:7-11
The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers. Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay.
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
7. What gifts have you been given to make a contribution with your life? How can you take steps to use those gifts today?
On a sheet of paper or in the Notes app on your phone, write down this statement: I am here on earth to… then fill in the blank. There are many possible answers we can give to this question, but write down the answer that stops you in your tracks. That answer will help you know what you were put on earth to accomplish. Share this answer with your group. After sharing this answer, tell your group one way that you will live out this purpose today.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy!