As a society, we are captivated by a good story. Good stories have the power to drive the success of movies, to get you to buy a product, and ultimately, to move people to take action. One of the most amazing stories that we have, as followers of Jesus, is how God changed our lives through the Gospel. When we share our story, it builds bridges in our relationship with the other person. It also forces them to take a look at what they have done with Jesus Christ. This study takes a look at what it takes to craft and share a compelling story of how God has changed your life.
What is one of the best stories you have ever heard?
1. What progress have you made in building intentional relationships with your list of five people?
2. What is the power of sharing a personal story of life change with another person?
3. What is your go-to question for getting into a spiritual conversation? Here are the examples:
Do you ever think they might be something more to this life?
What do you think your purpose in life is?
Do you think there are a heaven and a hell?
What do you think happens to a person after they die?
Do you have a story of when you gave your life to Christ?
4. How does praying for another person open an avenue into a spiritual conversation?
5. 1 Thessalonians 2:8 says, "We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God's Good News but our own lives, too." How does sharing your story invite someone to enter into your life?
6. Have you ever written out and shared your story of life change before? Why is it so important to practice this and to get it down to two minutes?
7. What is one spiritual conversation question that you could practice with one of your friends or intentional relationships this week?
Give your group of people time really quickly to write out their two-minute stories (link to form). These don't have to be two minutes long but can be much shorter if you can get this done quickly with emotion that leads them into a conversation. Too little information doesn't invoke empathy and reflection on their own life. Too much information is overwhelming. The three aspects that their story needs to include are:
1. Tell people what life was like before you gave it over to Jesus.
2. Explain where you were at and what happened when you gave your life to Jesus.
3. Talk about the difference Jesus has made in your life since you gave it to Him.
Have them work on this during your time and let them know that you will be practicing sharing them next week. Encourage them to work on this during the week so they are ready.
CHALLENGE: Build your friendships weekly with people who are far from Jesus, invite them to church service or to an event at church, and share your story and listen to theirs.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.