In today's world, where we can get almost anything at our fingertips in an instant, gratitude has become more and more of a lost art. What we used to view as unexpected gifts and blessings have become expectations. This is not the way it should be. It is time that you and I take up the lost art of gratitude. In our Bible study today, we are going to talk about this gratitude and be reminded to be people who are always looking for opportunities to be thankful.
When was a time in your life when you encountered someone who was ungrateful? How did you react?
1. Do you think gratitude is easy or difficult for people to model? Why or why not?
2. Do you consider yourself a thankful person? Why or why not?
3. Read Luke 17:11-15. What did the healing of all of these men with leprosy represent?
As Jesus continued on toward Jerusalem, he reached the border between Galilee and Samaria. As he entered a village there, ten men with leprosy stood at a distance, crying out, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”
He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.
One of them, when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, “Praise God!”
4.Can you think of a time God provided help or healing in your life? If so, describe that time. How did you respond?
5. Read Luke 17:17-19. Why do you think only one person went back to thank Jesus?
Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine? Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.”
6. What excuses do you think the other nine men made for their lack of thankfulness to Jesus? What excuses have you given in the past for showing a lack of gratitude?
7. How would the grateful healed leper's response have surprised people based on his ethnicity? What does this teach you about gratitude and pleasing God?
What do you have to be grateful for right now? Spend some time right now sharing with your group the things in your life that you are thankful for. After everyone in the group has shared, spend some time praying together, thanking God for all of the things He has done for you.
Wallpaper available for download in the Sagebrush App.
And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.